WOMESA Kenya Chapter
WOMESA Kenya is the 1st National chapter among 25 Member Sates to be launched and is affiliated to the Association for Women in the Maritime Sector in Eastern & Southern Africa Region (WOMESA). It was officially launched on the 26th March, 2010 in the port city of Mombasa in line with its Strategic Plan to fulfill the following specific objectives:
- Advocate gender equality in the Eastern and Southern African Maritime sector.
- Integrate women in the mainstream maritime activities.
- Promote access of women to the maritime sector through education,training and career opportunities.
- Lobby for increasing the percentage at the senior management level within the region’s maritime sector.
- Promote access of women to quality employment in the maritime sector.
- Enhance inclusion of women in the maritime sector through partnership and collaboration with Development Partners.
- Promote co-operation , friendship & understanding through exchange of knowledge and dissemination of information.
- Examine international conventions on maritime and make recommendations aimed at engendering relevant legal frameworks.
WOMESA has been at the forefront in advocating for empowerment of women in the maritime sector through various channels such as lobbying for women to be employed in the industry among others.
WOMESA Kenya News & Publications for Download