The Association for women working in the Maritime sector in Eastern and Southern Africa Region (WOMESA) is an association for women working in the maritime industry within the region.
WOMESA was formed as a Regional organization under the auspices of the International Maritime Organization (IMO) Women in Development (WID) Programme. The main objectives of the programme are to integrate women into mainstream maritime activities, improve their access to maritime training and technology, increase their percentage at senior management level and promote economic self-reliance.
Our vision is: to be a key partner for gender inclusivity in sustainable development agenda of the maritime sector in Africa.
Our mission is: to promote active women participation in the maritime sector and contribute to the growth of the industry in Eastern and Southern Africa through pursuance of activities aimed at promoting gender equality.
The Association’s guiding principles are:
- Respect for Diversity
The Association’s slogan is Think Maritime, Think Women.
About WOMESA Kenya
WOMESA Kenya was launched on 26th March 2010 in line with its strategic plan to fulfil the following specific objectives:
- Advocate gender equality in the Eastern and Southern African Maritime Sector.
- Integrate women in the mainstream maritime activities.
- Promote access of women to the maritime sector through education, training and career opportunities.
- Lobby for increasing the percentage of women at the senior management level within the maritime sector.
- Promote access of women to quality employment in the maritime sector.
- Enhance inclusion of women in the maritime sector through partnership and collaboration with Development partners.
- Promote co-operation , friendship & understanding through exchange of knowledge and dissemination of information
- Examine international conventions on maritime and make recommendations aimed at engendering relevant legal frameworks
The Kenya Chapter membership comprises of 206 women working in the maritime and transport logistics industry in three levels being:
- executive level,
- senior management and
- middle level
|NO.||NAME||WOMESA POSITION||JOB TITLE|
|1.||Ms. Fiona Mbandi||Chairperson||Senior Human Resource Officer Change Management – Kenya Ports Authority|
|2.||Ms. Joyce Awino||Vice Chairperson||Director -Kenya Coast Guard Service|
|3.||Ms. Winnie Maina||Secretary||International Maritime Organization.|
|4.||Ms. Sarah Morintat||Treasurer||Executive Assistant – Kenya Ferry Services Ltd|
|5.||Ms. Rita Wahiti||Marketing and Communications Officer||Marketing Executive -Kenya Ports Authority|
|6.||Mrs. Tumaini Namoya||Co-opted member||Ports and Shipping Services Manager – Kenya Maritime Authority|
|7.||Ms.Betty Makena||Co-opted member||ITF inspector|
|8.||Ms. Jacqueline Omayio||Co-opted member||Kenya Ports Authority|